Earlier in the year decided that it was about time that I got my act together and actually provided a better heating solution to our home than simply two open fires and buying the family jumpers for Christmas. Had previously looked at air source heat pumps as the cottage dates back to 1700’s and has metre thick stone walls so nice thermal mass, but to put it bluntly wanted to reduce electricity bills and keep the character of our cottage at the same time.
Have already increased insulation to 210mm, and got double glazing, made doors fit, changed lighting to LED….
So after much deliberating we decided on a log boiler stove which would distribute heat to new radiators throughout the house, and provide sufficient hot water for me to wallow in a bath.
Plumped for a mid-range stovax view high output log boiler stove, and kept it simple – radiators, heat leak radiator, feed and expansion cistern.
Controls wise – circulation pump (variable speed) and thermostats. Also got a larger hot water cylinder to ensure wallowing in plenty of hot water was achievable.
Armed with a shopping list, and a will to try off I went.
Apart from buffoon moment putting one radiator in the wrong place due to misunderstanding (I got feedback) and electrical / commissioning by a qualified grown up, it all went smoothly.
The end result – for the first time ever a completely warm house, reduced electricity costs as when the fire is operating even on just ticking over we are not having to use the electric immersion.
Comparable cost to fitting an oil/lpg boiler as whatever heat source I needed radiators anyway.Running costs £600 per year and a shiny new axe. I even built myself a log store!
Oh and in line with NT engagement criteria – visitor enjoyment score gone through the roof, spirit of place maintained and adaptive reuse of inglenook fireplace, staff satisfaction (meaning me!) high.
Now time to go play with the axe!